new banner

new banner

суббота, 10 сентября 2016 г.

How to Read a Book a Week

It was the late 1980s and I was sitting in a university lecture hall listening to Abbie Hoffman,
an author and an activist, ranting about my generation’s indifference. Next to me was Gloria Emerson, a brilliant and eccentric journalist and author. We were discussing Hoffman’s talk when I told her how much I loved being in the thick of all these ideas.
“It’s such a unique opportunity to be here,” I said to her, “to be part of these conversations with smart, thoughtful people.”
“Oh, don’t be silly,” she responded. “Anybody can be part of these conversations. Just read some books!”
Ironically, as a history major, I was reading three to four books a week. And Gloria was right: through these books, I had a seat at the table. I was part of a cutting-edge conversation that was going on between great minds.
Flash forward too many years, and I am now back in that conversation. Since I started my podcast, I read as many nonfiction books as I can — at least one a week. It’s a requirement, first, to decide if I want to speak with an author and share their ideas, and, second, to make the conversation valuable if I do decide to have them on as a guest. (This may seem obvious, but you might be surprised at how many times I have been interviewed by people who have not read any of my books.)
I am richer for all this reading. I know more and take more risks as I apply what I’m learning. I also feel more confident in my own views and actions, as well as empathize and understand others better, since I have more context.
But reading is time-consuming. I was already over-busy before I started reading several books a week. And I am a slow reader.
I tried the traditional shortcuts, but none of them worked. Reading the PR materials is insufficient for understanding a book, and executive summaries are awful. I have never read an executive summary that came close to conveying what’s interesting and useful about an author’s work.
https://hbr.org/2016/02/how-to-read-a-book-a-week?inf_contact_key=bc1d71f39cbcb362453afb5526d5e7b246392df6ab4ab30afdc43a7f6386e7cc

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий