new banner

new banner

воскресенье, 1 ноября 2015 г.

How Technology Disconnects You From Yourself

The irony of our times is that we have more "friends" and know more about
their activities and interests than ever ... by spending less time with them.
We are also more than ever proficient through technology.  But we achieve much more by superficially immersing ourselves in every activity we do, by dividing our attention and focus.  Take me as an example.  During the writing of this article I've digressed in checking my emails, watching 5 videos, buying a book and learning that Google is planning to set up a free global WiFi network!
When I go out on walks I don't feel that peacefulness and thrill of solitude anymore.  I come across a beautiful bird and immediately I feel like "possessing" that moment for later.  I pull out my phone to take a photo, and begin to feel the anxiety that any sudden movements might frighten it away.  I give up the chance of being entirely and absorbingly present in that moment, in exchange for the anxiety of admiring a photo of it in the future.
I continue my walk and feel my phone vibrating.  It's a notification that either someone has recommended a movie to me, or I received a comment or "like" online, I have an overdue bill, someone just had a baby, a tsunami just killed hundreds in South Asia, or my uncle is getting a Colonoscopy.  Perhaps you have realized this before, but all of these distractions are impediments to the ability to immerse ourselves in each place we find ourselves in.
But worst of all, technology takes away from us the one thing we require the most for depth of thought and creativity: aloneness.  I've felt so many times as though I'm taking the whole world with me when I carry my phone.  There's never any time or space away from our daily business anymore.
http://lonerwolf.com/technology-disconnects/

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий