new banner

new banner

пятница, 26 августа 2016 г.

Rubies in the Rubble

Why I care about food waste – and how it became my business!

In 2010 I read an article about bin-divers being arrested for taking unsold food from supermarket bins. It got me thinking about our food supply chain and the difficulty of balancing the supply of perishable produce with consumer demand.
Shocked into action
I then started reading about food waste in more depth. It was something I had never properly thought about before, or even really knew existed on such a scale. On discovering that we waste a third of all food produced worldwide, creating 3.3 billion tonnes of greenhouse gases, and consuming masses of resources in the process, I became passionate about the need to create change. While we panic about how we can feed a growing planet, just a quarter of what we waste in the UK and USA would feed the one billion people going hungry. The food system seemed woefully out of balance and I had to act.
http://www.jamiesfoodrevolution.org/news/rubies-in-the-rubble/

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий